Government House Foundation
Now open to visitors, this was once home to lieutenant-governors of Canada's Northwest Territories.
Government House was constructed as a residence for the Lieutenant-Governor of the North- West Territories. It has served as a hospital for veterans and a school in the past, but is now a beautifully restored museum that is especially beautiful in December, decked in a Victorian Christmas.
“The legislative building and its grounds were designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 2005. It is also a Provincial Heritage Property under the Heritage Property Act. Of historical significance, the table that was used during the meeting of the Fathers of Confederation in Quebec City in 1864 resides in the building's library, albeit with six feet of it removed. Lieutenant-Governor Edgar Dewdney of the North-West Territories brought the table to Regina, which was the capital of the territory at the time. It was used in the offices of the Indian commissioner for Manitoba and the North-West Territories until 1896. Six feet of the table length was removed from the middle so that it could fit within the limited confines of the Prince Edward Building, the temporary home of the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan while the Saskatchewan Legislative Building was under construction.”
“Large Mall featuring 2 floors of fashion & specialty retailers & a food court with global eateries.”
“All RCMP members receive their training here. The museum is a provides a great history of the RCMP from their beginning as the North West Mounted Police. ”
“Modern multiplex cinema chain screening the latest Hollywood films, plus new independent releases.”